Saturday, 11 February 2012

Gaius' 6th Birthday

Gaius' 6th birthday has come and gone and I am  no longer a mother of 4 kids 5 and under! He had a great party. He had asked me to make a "snake cake" and so after hours of research--including looking at photo after photo of snakes--yuck!--we picked one and went with it. I am  not exactly sure what snake it is, and I took a bit of artistic liberty, but it is based on a photo I had. Any ideas what kind of snake it is, at least from the color scheme?
 He got his first pair of "real" cowboy boots and he went with cobra skin...I think its cobra skin pattern?
 It was on the face and neck that I took most of my creative liberty but I had to go for the dramatic option.
 The cake, carving and covering was no problem, then came those jolly scales. I hand made each one and place them on one at a time. The scales alone took me 13 hours! Lets just say after 4 hours of putting scales on I began to ask, "What have I got myself into!" The cake was a vanilla cake with orange cream filling, yummy! My favorite part was cutting it, yes I do get a strange, perhaps even sick, pleasure in destroying and having everyone consume my creations. And then there is the comments from on-lookers, "oh, how can you cut it?" "Doesn't that just pain you?" Nope, LOVE IT! Its like when a child builds a block tower as high as he can...then takes a deep breath savoring that one moment of unadulterated DESTRUCTION, when just enough pressure is applied to make it come crashing down into a rubble of bricks! Mine is just a rubble of cake crumbs:-)

No comments: